Rankings & Recognition
- #3 in Top 100 Best Places to Live 2016 Livability.com, September 2015
- Top 10 Happiest Cities in the World National Geographic, January 2015
- Best Cities on Earth for Biking Yahoo Travel, June 2015
- #9 in 10Best Travel-Worthy State Capitols USA Today, January 2015
- Madison Leads the Way in Meetings Sustainability Meetings Focus, February 2014
Discover more ways we’ve rocked the rankings at visitmadison.com/rankings
Madison Must-See Experience
- Experience the beauty and grandeur of the capitol building with free tours, offered daily.
- Walk the University of Wisconsin-Madison campus, which includes scenic Lake Mendota, Observatory Drive, Bascom Hill and the renowned Memorial Union Terrace.
- Bring home fresh fruits, vegetables, flowers, cheeses, meats and more from the Dane County Farmers’ Market. This event is held at the Capitol Square every Saturday, April-November.
- Discover destinations that appeal to the young—and the young-at-heart: see more than 800 animals at the free Henry Vilas Zoo or explore exceptional natural wonders at Cave of the Mounds.
- Get on the lakes by renting a canoe, kayak or sailboat, or by reservation at one of Greater Madison’s many waterfront dining venues.
- Borrow a blanket, pack a picnic basket and secure a spot on the capitol lawn to experience the sights and sounds of Concerts on the Square. (June & July only).
- Stroll through Olbrich Botanical Gardens, featuring the tropical Bolz Conservatory and 16 acres of outdoor display gardens, featuring the elaborate Thai Pavilion.
Find fun itinerary ideas at visitmadison.com/itineraries.